Archive for December, 2011
WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
These festive wheels of steak, Boursin cheese, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes look fancy, but they’re quite easy to make. For a party, arrange them on a platter atop a bed of spinach.
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the steak roll (Steps 2-4). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 6 hours. When ready to grill, proceed with Steps 5 and 6.
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not packed in oil)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons light herbed cheese spread, such as Boursin (see Variation)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to high.
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl; pour boiling water over them and let steep until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and chop.
- Meanwhile, place steak between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap. Pound each side of the steak thoroughly with the pointed side of a meat mallet until the steak is an even 1/4-inch thickness.
- Rub garlic all over one side of the steak. Spread cheese lengthwise in a 3-inch-wide strip down the middle of the steak. Top with the sun-dried tomatoes and spinach. Starting at one edge of a long side, roll the steak up tightly, tucking in the filling as you go.
- Carefully rub salt and pepper all over the outside of the steak roll. Turn the roll so the overlapping edge is on top. Push 8 skewers, evenly spaced, through the roll, close to the overlapping edge to hold the roll together. Slice the roll into 8 equal portions, roughly 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick, with a skewer in each. Lay the slices on their sides and push the skewer through so it sticks out about 1 inch.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the pinwheels 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Use a spatula when turning them to prevent too much filling from falling out. (Don’t worry if the ends of the skewers burn. They will still hold the pinwheels together.) Remove the skewers; let the pinwheels rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 226 calories; 9 g fat ( 4 g sat , 3 g mono ); 46 mg cholesterol; 7 gcarbohydrates; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 332 mg sodium; 278 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (27% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
Special Health Consideration(s):
Healthy Weight – Low Cholesterol – Low Sodium – Low Carb – Low Calorie – Diabetes Appropriate – Gluten Free Diet
HONOLULU (AP) – Leaving behind a year of bruising legislative battles,
PresidentBarack Obama enters his fourth year in office having calculated that he no longer needs Congress to promote his agenda and may even benefit in his re-election campaign if lawmakers accomplish little in 2012.
|LAT||New WH talking point: “The president is no longer tied to Washington, D.C.”|
Subtitlted: The ‘Worst Of’..Jesus H!
Buckle Up Dude!
Howz’ Dat “Closing the Strait of Hormuz is very easy for Iranian naval forces.” workin’ for ya, Mullets?
OR this “reversal” is what is called..Taqiyya. Translation: BULLSHIITE..
AP OH-OH! If I keep this stuff up, I may be the next
17 hours ago – A last minute update. Reader TW informed me of a Tweet that Bare Naked Islam is back up on WordPress.com but must be gone by January 6th.