Archive for November, 2011
WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Rösti is a traditional Swiss potato pancake typically served as a side dish but we added ham and cheese to transform it into an easy weeknight supper. Enjoy with steamed asparagus and chunky applesauce on the side.
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup diced ham, (about 5 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim Jarlsberg, or Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Beat egg in a large bowl. Stir in ham, 1/2 cup cheese, shallot, rosemary, pepper and salt. Add frozen potatoes and stir to combine.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pat the potato mixture into an even round in the pan. Cover and cook until browned and crispy on the bottom, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Place a rimless baking sheet on top. Wearing oven mitts, grasp the pan and baking sheet together and carefully invert, unmolding the rösti onto the baking sheet. Wipe out any browned bits from the pan. Return it to the heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Slide the rösti back into the pan. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese, cover and cook the second side until crispy and browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Slide onto a platter, cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 262 calories; 13 g fat ( 3 g sat , 8 g mono ); 94 mg cholesterol; 15 gcarbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 276 mg sodium; 174 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (34% daily value), Calcium (25% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat
Special Health Consideration(s):
Healthy Weight – High Calcium – Low Sodium – Low Sat Fat -Low Carb – Low Calorie – Diabetes Appropriate – Heart Healthy – Gluten Free Diet
- Agents who exposed ‘Fast and Furious’ — the ATF’s botched operation that put U.S. guns into the hands of Mexican drug cartels — face isolation and transfer, while managers of the operation were reassigned or promoted.
- VIDEO: Whistleblowers Punished Over ‘Fast and Furious’?
via The Weekly Standard
The Obama Administration has abruptly sealed court records containing alarming details of how Mexican drug smugglers murdered a U.S. Border patrol agent with a gun connected to a failed federal experiment that allowed firearms to be smuggled into Mexico.
This means information will now be kept from the public as well as the media. Could this be a cover-up on the part of the “most transparent” administration in history? After all, the rifle used to kill the federal agent (Brian Terry) last December in Arizona’s Peck Canyon was part of the now infamous Operation Fast and Furious. Conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), the disastrous scheme allowed guns to be smuggled into Mexico so they could eventually be traced to drug cartels.
‘worst ever’? Depends on how that nation reacts to having the cancerous radical islamist portion of pakistan surgically removed by radiation..
via Drudge Report
There remains hope..
Should be read, by all. eNewsletter from Representative West. Should this patriot ever need another person to ‘carry a gas can through hell’, I’m ready..
I have never previously held elected office and four years ago was returning from a two-and a- half year assignment as a civilian-military advisor to the Afghan Army. I do not see myself as a “politician.” I seek to be a political leader and thus hope to be an American Statesman.
Therefore, I will not be supporting, if I get a straight up and down vote, any of these manipulative deceptive political gimmicks – such as extension of payroll taxes and unemployment benefits.
I will be supporting stabilizing or lowering tax rates in America, and prefer to flatten them, eliminate loopholes, and reduce subsidies and deductions.
No more raising of the debt ceiling! We have shown the American people enough ineptness, incompetence, failure, and lack of courage and conviction to last a lifetime. Our system of governance is broken and we need major bold structural reforms.
Predictably enough, I am quite sure the Democrat party, many in the media, and political opponents will take my words, and eventual votes, and use them against me- feel free. I am not going to manipulate, deceive, or mislead the American people for “political gain” such as the current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave is comfortable doing.
If the constituents of this Congressional District would rather have a follower than a principled leader to represent them… well, the quote of Plato comes to mind, “those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors.” However, it is not just about participating; it is about being educated and informed on the issues.
The challenge to our constituents, as well as all Americas, is how long will you be treated as mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed crap? There is an incredible choice Americans must make next November 2012.